In 2003, after pastoring two churches, Denny Mashburn joined Jeff Nelson and a handful of families to start Wills Valley Community Church at Denny's home. Within a few months, over 100 people were attending Wills Valley Community Church in what is lovingly referred to as "The Basement" (of the Mashburn's home).
Shortly thereafter, God continued to bless by doing something very unusual; bringing Faith Baptist Church to merge with the people from Wills Valley Community Church. Now the two meet as one under the name of Wills Valley Community Church and at the former location of Faith Baptist Church on Isbell Blvd.
"Pursuing God's purposes, and expecting greater things" is the motto of Wills Valley Community Church. Denny and the Elders desire that people be a part of a church that is relevant to today's culture, Spirit-filled, exciting, and growing in their understanding of God's Word and His purposes for their lives.
The purpose of Wills Valley Community Church is to magnify God's name by bringing people to Christ and membership in His family, developing them to Christ-like maturity, and equipping them for their ministry in the church and their mission in the world.
WHAT WE DO
Learn about each of our ministries from children through adults. Find where you and your family fit. Come do life together with us.
At Wills Valley Community Church we value:
Worship that is truth-inspired, Spirit-led, contemporary, Virtue of changed lives by God's power, Caring relationships and compassionate ministry, Church health, and growth for God's glory.
The 5 Purposes of the Church
"But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him." John 4:23"
Jesus said to him, you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:19-20
To "love God with all your heart" is "Worship"
To "baptize" is to incorporate into "Fellowship"
To "teach them to observe all things" is "Discipleship"
To "love your neighbor as yourself" is "Ministry"
To "go and make disciples" is "Evangelism"
WVCC's Member's Lifestyle Statement
Beliefs are not worth much unless translated into actions. Based on what the Bible teaches, we feel very strongly about the following seven practices.
Bible as our sole authority -"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16 Since God's Word is the only completely reliable and truthful authority, we accept the Bible as our manual for living. Our first question when faced with a decision is "What does the Bible say?" We practice daily Bible reading, Bible study, and Bible memorization. The Bible is the basis for all we believe.
Autonomy of each local church -"And He (Christ) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning . . ." Colossians 1:18
Christ is the recognized head of our church, not any person, group, or religious organization. While acknowledging the value of associating and cooperating with other groups of Christians, we believe every local church should be self-governing and independent from any denominational control.
Priesthood of every believer -"And hath made us kings, and priests into God and His Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." Revelation 1:6"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hat called you out of darkness into his marvelous light;" 1 Peter 2:9The Bible teaches that every Christian is called to "full-time" Christian service, regardless of his or her vocation. We practice the truth that every believer is a minister by encouraging every member to find a place of service and ministry. Every believer has direct access to God through prayer and Bible reading.
Tithing -"And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord." Leviticus 27:30 At Wills Valley we practice tithing for the support of Christ's Body, the church, as God commands. We recognize the giving of 10% of our income as the Biblical standard and an appropriate starting point in acknowledging Christ as Lord over all that we own.
Immersion -"For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism, you were also raised with Christ." Colossians 2:12We practice baptism by immersion under water - the way Jesus was baptized, and the way the Bible commands.
Spirit-led living -"I am the vine, ye are the branches: he that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." John 15:5We believe the only way possible to live the Christian life is by God's power within us. So we seek to practice a daily dependence on God's Spirit to enable us to do what is right. Philippians 2:13, Ephesians 5:18
Telling others about Christ -"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3:15It is the responsibility of every Christian to share the Good News with those whom God brings us into contact. We practice personal sharing about Christ and inviting friends to church.
STRUCTURE & AFFILIATION
1. The Church is a Fellowship."They continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship . . ." Acts 2:42A top priority in a fellowship is unity and harmony. "Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:3."
Let us, therefore, follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another." Romans 14:19
ANY attitude that causes disunity is a sin.
Col. 3:15, 1Cor. 1:10, 2 Tim. 2:14, Pr. 17:14, 2 Cor 13:11, Phil 1:27, Phil. 2:1-3, Col. 2:2, Phil 4:2,
1 Peter 3:8, 1 Cor. 14:33, John 13:34-35, 2 Tim. 2:23, Rom 15:5-6, Rom. 12:16-18, Col. 3:13-14, Ps 133:1
Implications: A Good Structure Promotes Unity and Downplays Differences.". . . Ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there are divisions among you; and I partly believe it." 1 Corinthians 11:17-18 "Voting" tends to divide people.
At Wills Valley Community Church we place all leadership and decision-making responsibility in the hands of qualified Pastors/Elders recognized by the congregation.
These Pastors/Elders have reaffirmed annually in their ministry. The Pastors/Elders will seek affirmation on the following:
Purchase of land or buildings
Changes in the church bylaws or constitution
2. The Church is a Family."You should be like one big happy family, full of sympathy toward each other, loving one another with tender hearts and humble minds." 1 Peter 3:8Gal. 6:10, Heb. 2:10-12, 1 Peter 4:17. So We Operate On the Basis Of Relationships Not Regulations."Rebuke not an elder, but entreat him as a father, and the young men as brethren." 1 Tim. 5:1-2"(A Pastor) One, that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjections with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)" 1 Timothy 3:4-5
3. The Church is a Body. 1 Corinthians 12:27, Ephesians 5:23, Colossians 1:18, 2:19We are a Body - not a Business! We are an organism - NOT an organization!Therefore, we function on the basis of spiritual gifts NOT elected officers.For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having gifts differing according to the grace that is given us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;" Romans 12:4-6In an organization "maintenance" becomes the focus. But in an organism "ministry" is the focus.
At Wills Valley, we have a simple structure so we can maximize ministry and minimize maintenance. "And He (God) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers." Ephesians 4:11-12
The people are the "Ministers."
The Pastors/Elders are the "Administers."
4. The Church is a Flock. (Jesus' favorite description of the Church.) John 10:1-30; Matthew 26:31; Matthew 25:33 Therefore is cared for and led by Shepards. "He (Jesus) saith to him again the second time; Simon (Peter), son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep." John 21:16-17 Three different terms are used in the New Testament to refer to the same church leaders:"And he gave some apostles; and some prophets; and some evangelists; and some pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints . . ." Ephesians 4:11-12"To the elders which are among you I exhort, i who am also an elder, . . . Feed (Pastor) the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind."! Peter 5:1-2"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach." 1 Timothy 3:2See also Titus 1:5-7, 1 Timothy 3:1-7
Dekalb Baptist Association - 63 Churches that fellowship together and work together to reach Dekalb County.
The Alabama Baptist State Convention Over 3,000 churches that fellowship together with the goal of evangelizing our state.
Southern Baptist Convention - What is the Southern Baptist Convention? It is the largest association of Christian churches in America. One out of every ten churches in America is affiliated with the SBC. (Forty thousand churches and 15 million members - more than most other denominations combined.)It is the most diverse association of churches. SBC churches include every race, nationality, and ethnic groups. Each Sunday, services are held in over 80 languages in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing groups.The SBC baptizes over 1,000 new Christians a day in the United States and begins nearly five new churches a day!
"Bold Mission Thrust" is Wills Valley's stated public goal to give everyone in the world a chance to hear the Good News. It is exciting to be a part of a group with that kind of vision!
Why Not Just Be An Independent Church?
We are an independent church! Every SBC church is completely independent. There is no denominational control or hierarchy, as there is in most other denominations. Each church is self-governed and determines its own affairs.
* Every SBC church chooses its own pastor(s).
* Every SBC church owns its own buildings and assets.
* Every SBC church determines its own programs.
What are the advantages of affiliating with The SBC?
It allows us to identify with other Christians around the world who are known for their commitment to the Bible. Unlike other groups, the SBC has no man-made "creed." The Bible is our only authority.
It allows our church to participate in the largest missionary organization in the world. Through the SBC "Cooperative Program" we help support over 7,500 missionaries around the world in 104 countries around the world.